Tuesday, August 18, 2009

i hate to see you leave, but i love to watch you walk away

I'm watching the Favre press conference right now- I had actually started a different blog and I'm too wrapped up in this to not be inspired by it. There's a lot of lessons to be learned from this scenario. Know when to walk away. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. But more than anything, I think it's a case of knowing when to shut the hell up.

The other night, I had a visitor. As often goes when two or more women are gathered together, talk turned to the subject of gentlemen. As the lady fretted, I considered what is still a struggle for me, but may be able to assist her in her situation. Less is more is not just a suitable argument for fashion and design, but also for communication. Sure, open lines of communication can be an integral part of a successful relationship. But communicative discretion is just as essential. Believe it or not, people don't want or need to hear everything you think about them (for those of you who know me- you know this is something I am certainly still struggling with). I think Brett would have had less backlash if he had kept his mouth shut. The hemming and hawing is easier to endure when it's behind closed doors. If you loved someone, and they said "I want to be with you." "No, I don't." "Yes, I do." "Well, I also want to see other people." "No, I can't do it." And then that person married someone else 2 weeks later? It leaves you pretty exhausted. I don't doubt that Brett is genuinely struggling with the decisions he has had to make. But pulling off the bandage slowly just extends the pain.

I'm generally opposed to sports press conferences anyway. Usually, the only lasting impression is when someone goes off the deep end and it becomes a YouTube sensation. Now that I think of it, press conferences in general are a waste of time. The people asking the questions and the people answering them all know what will be asked and what the answers will be. It's as spontaneous, entertaining, and informative as the 24-hour paint-drying channel.

24-hour news channels, 24-hour sports channels, reality show channels, soap opera channels. There's too many channels, just like there are too many baseball teams. People are living life less than they are watching it. A little bit of mystery isn't a bad thing- whether it's to your fans, your viewers, or your lover.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak out and remove all doubt- you've got Lincoln to thank for that gem.

No comments: