Thursday, August 20, 2009

fashion a la mode

Not as in fashion with ice cream. Literally a la mode (if you think I know how to create accents in this little blog box, you are overestimating me, and I am flattered) translates to "of the style" or "in the fashion of" - so fashionable fashion, so to speak. Let's talk clothes.

I've always been a pretty fashion-forward person. My favorite outfit as a 10-year-old was a bright pink sweatshirt with purple and gold hieroglyphics, a purple sweatshirt material skirt, pink leggings, turquoise socks and black flats. Stylin', profilin' and straight up pimpin' - 4th grade style. Soon, I was leading the way in the layered socks with different colored Keds trend. You know those harem pants that have suddenly become popular (with models and celebrities at least- it's kind of a more subtle Hammer-pants)? That's what I wore to my very first dance, age 12. That shit was so hot, U Can't Touch This.

My fashion continues to be... shall we say... eclectic? I kind of think of myself as a fashion pioneer, but I think pioneer implies that I have followers. I often get, "only you could pull that off." I'm not certain it's a compliment, but I take it as such. I don't like my clothes to match. I like to wear too much jewelry. Coco Chanel may have advised to take off one item before walking out the door, but one item doesn't make a dent in my outfits. Taking off one of the 12 bangle bracelets isn't going to make me look any more refined or sophisticated. It has taken a while to get to know my style (I do think I kind of have one). I like a little sporty, a little flashy, a little classy, a little sexy- kind of like all the Spice Girls wrapped up in one outfit. I like messing with makeup and my hair. I suppose at age 30, I should give up bright blue sparkly eyeliner. But I won't.

Fashion is something to enjoy. I love reading Lucky magazine. I love checking out thrift stores and outlets. I love putting stuff together in a new and different way. But the great majority of the time- whether I'm at home, or running errands, or somewhere more low-key, it's yoga pants and a t-shirt (AKA jammies). In college, my friends dragged me out to a bar/club one night- I wasn't in the mood. I was wearing jeans, an oversized t-shirt (of a high school football team), and sneakers. Three guys asked for my number, and the DJs pulled me on stage saying I was the coolest girl ever. Moral of the story? Not what you wear, but how you wear it. Pile up the bangles and sport stilettos, or wear a baseball hat and Converse- it's the confidence that's sexy.

No comments: