Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Superiority Complex

Last night I was at a meeting for the MidPoint Music Festival... it never ceases to amaze me that there are still so many people who are excited about Cincinnati and making it a destination, a hip place, and regional hot spot. It's heartening that there are some people who care deeply about the city.

However, I notice something about some of these folks (SOME being the operative word, and this is not necessarily about anyone at the meeting last night). Many of these folks have a somewhat "holier-than-thou" attitude... I guess stemming from the idea that they are out there keeping busy, making Cincinnati a better place... at the same time not realizing they are not making society a better place by showing common courtesy, by feeling they are in a place to judge others.

Let me illustrate. There is someone I know through one of my activities. Let's call this person Chris. Chris is highly intelligent and very intuitive. Chris and I have had one fairly deep conversation where we shared a great deal about our respective lives. I thought this would be the beginning of a unique friendship with a dynamic person.

Chris is the sort of person who believes there are rights, and there are wrongs. There are shoulds and should nots. Chris wants people to behave in a way that Chris finds appropriate. When someone breaks that norm, Chris has no problem sharing views on why that behavior is unacceptable, regardless of whether the person, or society, or God, or whomever, thinks it is.

I have a pretty intense personality... It took me a long time to like and value the person I am. I am finding that some of the people who do all these activities and participate in these organizations might value me, but they don't value those who DON'T devote every free moment to volunteer work. And Chris only values the people with whom Chris agrees.

The Dalai Lama has taught the Buddhist principle that all beings are equal and valuable. That you should treat everyone they same- whether you like them, are neutral, or dislike them. I try very hard to realize the value in each person. I think I do a decent job of it. When I see the value in myself, and the value in others, I'm filled with even more respect and concern for myself and others. It gives me a lot of peace of mind, that I am not sure some of these people have.

I will most likely be halting or taking a break from my friendship with Chris. It's become rather destructive to me, and I am not willing to put up with that. It's sad, because I think Chris and I would have had a marvelous friendship.

My Jerry Springer "final thought"- there is value in all things... including yourself. Demand that others respect that value, and make sure you give that value to others.

Namaste.

No comments: