Thursday, September 3, 2009

let's agree to disagree

Ordinarily, I would not discuss politics on the internet (I especially hate getting caught up in a comment war on Facebook). Actually, I don't really like to discuss politics in general. People get fired up, and the chances of us changing each other's minds is slim to none. Especially now that people think that they have to defend their opinion at all costs- regardless of any new information being presented. I would venture to say that this is a result of cable news channels. There are two that are especially polarizing. The other viewpoint is presented so much as ridiculed. The remaining major news network relies on viewer emails and random tweets to fill the supposed 24/7 news cycle. I don't really like to watch either network. I prefer to have my news without such an overt agenda. I watched the presidential debates on C-SPAN. Yes, it's kinda boring to watch the video when people are randomly walking around before the debate, but it's still better than listening to a pundit explain why the candidate they favor is so obviously superior and their opponent is maybe not the evil incarnate, but pretty damn close.

I am fairly certain that part of the journalism ethic is to not have a personal bias. Naturally, that's impossible. But it is possible to avoid blatant endorsement. It's possible to provide experts on both sides of the argument. It's possible to research what the real story is. It's possible to not engage in sensationalism. It's possible to find people who know what they're talking about instead of just what they want to say.

I'll admit that I fall on the more liberal side of the spectrum. Okay, all the way on the left side. But I don't watch MSNBC either. As much as I love Jon Stewart, I sometimes wish that he didn't let his liberal leanings to affect how he "reports." We aren't doing ourselves any favors by doing the same thing as Fox News, just on the other side. You aren't going to inform, you're not going to convince, and you're only going to contribute to the growing divide.

I am in favor of health care reform. Not just because I am a liberal. Not just because I haven't had health insurance in over 2 years. But because I know how messed up health care and insurance is- even without watching Sicko. You can be dropped from your insurance if you get sick and rack up too many bills (actually, most plans can drop you for whatever reason they see fit). If you don't have insurance, you can go to the emergency room- by law, they can't turn you away. But, the hospital still wants to get paid. And if they don't get paid by the government, they are coming after you. They can wait until you get a job and then garnish your wages, just like any other creditor. And remember that whole "ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure?" It's true. It's much cheaper to provide preventive care than to try to cure someone once they are already sick.

But whether you agree with the reform or not, whether you are conservative, liberal, or moderate, try to find a news source that gives all sides. Not just the one you with which you agree.

No comments: