Wednesday, September 19, 2007

An astounding event in history

Am I the only woman who has a weird, fractured relationship with her father?

My father and I just talked on the phone for a record 4 minutes, 1 second. He called to ask me where my mother was (I actually knew, despite living an hour away). He accidentally got roped into having a conversation with me that lasted longer than most of our interactions.

I was that dorky kid who always WANTED to hang out with my parents- I thought they were cool. When my dad told stories about helping out my godfather (an FBI agent) with an undercover narcotics sting... I mean, really! Who doesn't want to hang out with studs like my mom and dad?

Over the years, though, my dad and I have grown apart. I don't know if it's fairly common for single women in their late 20s, early 30s to be distanced from their dads. While my mom and I can go on for hours about baseball, relationships, HGTV, politics, etc... my dad sits in the Dad Chair, reads his book, and falls asleep with his hand on the remote, resulting in a whirlwind of channels that inevitably ends in a shopping channel.

I love my dad, and I am just like him. I have the same wide feet. I hold grudges. I shop too much. I take pictures of food I've prepared if it looks nice. And he's 71- not the youngest bird in the flock. But until I get this figured out, I'll enjoy the four minutes of side-splitting laughter I get when the opportunity arises, and a few chuckles as I reminisce.

2 comments:

Brian Siegel said...

nah, you're cool, and in abundant company, a lot of us have been inspired by the "victorious defeat" of having dad's, not fathers, but that allows us to be the beautiful and strong people we are today : ) later, Brian Siegel

Brian Siegel said...

Have you ever talked to your father about "talking"? Just a simple thought, sure you have tried and thought of it with your innovative mind : )

later,
B